Table of Contents
Why an academic website is the best reputation manager
- Then you leave your reputation in the hands of the unpredictable, angry mess that is the internet.
- Google will create a reputation for you through the chaos of their algorithm
- Your top search results will return 1.) your institution’s name or department, and 2.) your Rate My Professor webpage
If you can write emails, then you can make your dream website
What you need
- Brizy.Cloud (forever free, email required) – website hosting, drag-and-drop website design, publishing your website
- Getterms.io (forever free, no email required) – make your website legal
- Unsplash.com (forever free, no email required) – high-quality images to decorate your website
- Links to a portfolio of your material (eg. YouTube videos of presentations, or PDFs of articles)
- OPTIONAL: Namecheap.com ($9-12/year, email required) – custom website domain, eg. drcherylharper.com (paid) vs drcherylharper.brizy.com (free)
“I don’t want to make my own website”
No worries! We offer a $99 done-for-you website service for academics. Get a beautiful, fuss-free website launched by this week! No exceptions.
Your website includes all of the essential pages, legal terms, security, and video tutorials that you need to customize and publish your website in as little as 2-3 days.
We recommend that academics purchase the “Non-Wordpress Website” service. Most academics do not need the complexity and high maintenance costs of a WordPress website to build a credible website for themselves.
The Step-by-Step Guide to create an academic website that is beautiful, functional, and FREE
Let me show you how to make a free academic website.
Click HERE to view the live demo of the academic website we will be building today.
Think of it as a template. Feel free to customize it to be a minimalist academic website or a content-rich academic website for research.
1. Go to brizy.cloud
- Media/Press Kit
- Work With Me
15. Publish to a domain name (subdomain under Brizy AND connecting to your own domain is free, but you need to buy your own domain from somewhere like Namecheap.com)
3 Rules for maintaining your website
- Update your website at least 4 times each year
- If you post content (videos, blog articles, etc.), make sure that you can commit to posting them consistently because…
- An outdated website is worse than no website at all